Friday, October 14, 2005

The Doctor and the Nurse

There was a handsome doctor, and an attractive young nurse. After the examination, they said they would send me up for an ultrasound, and then, as an afterthought, as they were leaving the room, they turned back and added that the blood test results from this morning had come back. The pregnancy hormone is way down, they said.
“It’s way down,” they said, glancing at each other and nodding in agreement, speaking almost simultaneously, “so that means it’s either, it’s either already a miscarriage, or inevitable, I’d say.”
All this time I had believed it would be okay, and here they were saying no, like an afterthought, but friendly. They were making me unpregnant as they walked out of the room. So I broke down, and the doctor and nurse looked at me sadly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home